Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spring Break Stop Three: Roma

After a sleepless night in the Palermo airport, we flew on to Rome. Exhausted as I was, my spirits were immediately revived on the walk to the hotel from the bus station. I love Rome; I think it’s one of the most beautiful cities in the whole world, and it was the first time we had really nice weather the whole trip. It really wasn’t enough to be there for a day and a half. The last time I was there with my family, we just ran from site to site exhausted before our cruise, and I didn’t get to slow down this time around either. Like most of the rest of our vacation, Kelli and I ran around the city, “seeing” everything without really getting to appreciate it or take our time and learn, which is really all I ever want to do.

We followed the directions to our hotel, which we were surprised to find was on the third floor of an apartment building. All we wanted to do was shower after our long night in the airport, but our room wasn’t ready. Luckily we could drop off our packs, and we walked down towards the Colosseum/ruins and checked those out before we could finally go shower. The it was back out into the city, constantly walking. Trevi fountain again, one of my favorites. Gelato on the Spanish Steps (Audrey Hepburn, anyone?). Pantheon. We just wandered the city, trying to hit all the places marked on the tourist map.

We even walked over to the Vatican, which is far if you’re walking. They were already getting ready for Easter, with tons of chairs set up to hold the masses already pouring into the city (we met someone in Sevilla who was there for Easter and took a picture of the Pope three feet away in his Popemobile). Kelli didn’t want to go inside since she thought we had to pay for it, but I told her if she was in Rome and didn’t see the Sistine Chapel, she would regret it for the rest of her life. It turned out to be free, but because she was in shorts and we didn’t have anything to cover it, they wouldn’t let us in. Of course, then Kelli was really upset that she had to miss it. I was bummed too, but at least I’ve seen it before.

When I mapped out how far we walked that day with a little dotted line on our map, it was crazy. I couldn’t believe two little girls could go so far in a day! We definitely squeezed the most we could out of our stay in Rome, but it just wasn’t good enough for me. I tossed the penny in Trevi again, so hopefully I’ll be back!

I’ve actually gone through all the pictures except Madrid and uploaded them onto Flickr, so *spoiler alert* you can check out the pictures already even though the posts aren’t up at www.flickr.com/photos/rachelgoesgreek/sets I’ve maxed out the number of photos I can upload to Flickr in a month (whoops!) so the Madrid photos will be inserted into the post as usual. To see the photos from Rome, click http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelgoesgreek/sets/72157626613005618/

No comments:

Post a Comment