Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Σούπερ Πάρτι!

Hello all! A belated Happy Valentine’s Day to all of you! Yesterday I had class all day and didn’t even realize what day it was until around two anyway. I had a great Valentine’s day evening; I finally found a way to watch all my shows online and caught up on all of them (for those of you who watch HIMYM, I’m so sick of the Zoe thing. Let it go already!), and then went to sleep. Very romantic, I assure you. Also, in honor of the day, I had chocolate covered strawberries for dessert.  And by chocolate covered strawberries, I mean cut up strawberries in chocolate pudding. Yum.

Today I finally got my bus ticket to Istanbul! I am going, along with most of my building, to Istanbul this weekend! I’m super excited; I’ve read guidebooks and planned what I want to see and do. We’re taking a night bus Thursday evening and getting in early Friday morning, and leaving by the same bus Sunday night so as to return in time for class Monday. I won’t be bringing my computer with me, but rest assured, I will upload plenty of pictures and make sure to tell you guys all about it when I get back.

After that I did some major grocery shopping at the huge open air market (λαϊκή) next to Aristotelous Square. I got all kinds of spices, fruits and veggies, and a huge hunk of chicken. Since all the words I’ve been learning in my Greek class so far have been food words/ordering words, I was actually pretty on top of things in the market. The only problem is I haven’t quite worked out how much a kilo, a half kilo, 100 grams, etc all comes out to be, and accidentally ordered so much spinach I wasn’t sure if it would fit with everything else into my fridge. Luckily, it did. Tonight I made dinner all by myself (mostly because I couldn’t get Mom on Skype), and it actually turned out pretty good. Granted, the end product was completely different from what I had in mind initially, but it was yummy. It ended up a massive hodge-podge of chicken, spinach, onions, eggplant, olives, and feta in olive oil, garlic, and basil.

I’m staying in tonight, cleaning my room and going through my Greek flashcards, but tomorrow night a club at ACT is throwing a party at a club called Dogs in order to raise money to help kids in the Roma community. I don’t yet have the going-out stamina of some of these college kids, so I’m saving my energy for tomorrow night. Tomorrow I’m also going to go get passport photos taken so I can try and get a three-month bus pass; apparently the bus place I have to go to is exclusively run by grumpy pensioners, but I’m determined to get one, especially now that I live so far from downtown!

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally now following you and like stuff, like you know?

    Have fun at your rave!

    Oh and damn those pensioners!

    ReplyDelete