Sunday, February 6, 2011

“Do you wear shoes where you come from?”

As expected, it was actually really simple to get the washer door open. I just had to pull down on this tab to unlock the door, which I actually tried but didn’t pull hard enough because I was worried I would break it. The RA was laughing pretty hard and probably thinks I’m an idiot, but whatever, all my clothes are hung up to dry.

When I woke up this morning it was beautiful and sunny and 60 degrees! I was so excited, and broke out a skirt and some flip-flops, and just used a thicker button-down as a jacket. It was perfect, the button-down even made me a little hot. I headed out to get a few pastries or something for breakfast, and I notice that the Greeks don’t seem to register the sunshine. Everyone is still in pants, boots, coats, hats, scarves. They do, however, notice the American with the pale, skinny legs bouncing down the street in flip-flops. I’m noticing people staring, nudging their friends and nodding my way. After I ordered my breakfast the girl behind the counter said as she was ringing it up, “May I ask you something? Aren’t you cold?” I was really surprised by this question; it’s 60 degrees, you Greeks! I explained that back home there’s about two feet of snow on the ground, so this weather feels really warm to me (though it should feel warm to everyone…). “Don’t you wear shoes back home?” This one confused me, but I guess she was referring to the flip-flops.

As soon as I left I headed back to the room to get changed, and even though nobody did anything, I was more and more nervous as I walked back until I finally reached my room. I hate having to put some pants on when it’s as gorgeous outside as it is right now, but it is much preferable to blend in a little better, especially considering my roommate had her ass grabbed three times yesterday…Most of my clothes are still wet on the balcony, so I’m heading out in sweats. This is another Thessalonian faux pas, as the super-stylish inhabitants of this city never dress down unless they’re actually in a gym, but long pants and closed-toed shoes will blend in better, even though the part of my soul that feeds on sunshine will be very unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment