Thursday, February 17, 2011

Prepping for Istanbul

It’s seven o’clock here; I’ll probably be leaving to catch the bus to Istanbul in about an hour and a half. I’ve packed some clothes, cleaned my room, made myself a sandwich for the road, and eaten all the food that could go bad, or given it to Nik, the only one in our building not going.

Today I tried to get an International Student ID Card and a three month bus pass and failed on both accounts; I’ll have to try again when I get back from Istanbul. When I explained at the bus kiosk what I wanted, the person inside (grumpy as warned) just snapped at me to come back Monday. I wasn’t sure whether I was actually supposed to come back later or whether she was just blowing me off, so I walked a bit to another one, where a significantly less irritated employee told me that yes, I do in fact have to return Monday. The bus passes start being valid at the beginning of each month, and they don’t issue them until the week before the a new month.

After class I came back and took a nice long shower, since I don’t know what the showering situation will be at the hostel I’m staying at, and finished getting ready to go. I’m a little nervous, since literally everyone I’ve talked to has warned me to be extra careful and extra alert, but I’m also really excited. I’ve been reading my little guidebook and have taken note of so many wonderful things to go see that are in the safer areas of the city. I will of course stay with my group and be very careful, so don’t worry! As I said, I’m not bringing my computer but I will be sure to update as soon as I get back. Have a great weekend, I’ll see you all on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Istanbul wooooah man thats awesome! hope you're having a blast :)

    ReplyDelete